Things to keep in mind when reviewing Relocation policies
Offering relocation benefits to new or promoted employees is a great way to ensure that your company is able to hire the most qualified candidate for the position. As the new year is now upon us, HR managers should start to review their company’s relocation policies. Most relocation assistance companies recommended reviewing and renewing policies every 12 months. As the global mobility industry sees continuous change over time, reviewing policies at least once per year helps make sure that the relocation policies being offered are still competitive within your industry, and ensure cost efficiencies are adapted to your current business environment.
Whether you are going out to bid for a new relocation company, or just want to ensure that your relocation policies are above the standard, use this 2022 relocation policy checklist to make sure all of the common pain points are met.
Our recommendations for global mobility planning cover both short-term and long-term initiatives. Here is the 2022 relocation checklist:
Short-Term Assignment Policy Review Points
- Identify all instances relating to immediate and upcoming needs for your relocating employees including visas, work permits, immigration status changes, and cross-border travel. Determine appropriate action plans for each case.
- Document policy exceptions relating to the pandemic. Consider adjusting the company relocation policy or adding an addendum to account for the effects of the pandemic and other major relocation disruptions.
- Review all assignments that were placed on hold during 2020. Determine if they are still critical to corporate objectives for 2021. If yes, implement a talent acquisition plan.
- Examine all data sources and information flows for integrity and accuracy. Form a relocation integration program project team to Identify instances that can be automated with effective relocation advanced programming interfaces (APIs).
- Identify current short-term assignments that can be further extended in support of corporate objectives. This will reduce costs relating to repatriation and re-assignment.
Long-Term Assignment Policy Review Points
- Determine areas in the relocation process where the company owes a higher duty-of-care than previously expected. Examples include programs and costs relating to transferees unable to return to origin locations due to pandemic-cause restrictions.
- Correlate talent acquisition and talent management programs to ensure consistency in achieving objectives across the company.
- Leverage virtual relocation solutions that enhance the transferee’s experience and provide added value to the company.
- Focus on process simplification and cost reduction. Use the lessons from 2020’s expanded virtual relocation solutions to modify your company relocation policy to adopt new technologies and procedures.
- Look to future corporate initiatives to determine appropriate company relocation policy, plans, and budgets. Ensure alignment with company objectives relating to growth, expansions, mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures.
Get in Touch with GMS for More Helpful 2022 Tips
At GMS we understand that each company runs differently, meaning everyone will have different needs when it comes to relocation benefits. Our team has been helping companies construct some of the most competitive relocation packages for over 25 years now. With 2022 now here, it’s time to make sure that all of your bases are covered when it comes to relocation. GMS recommends that clients conduct a thorough review of their company relocation policy every 12 to 18 months. Following all the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on relocation, this review is critically important to ensure your company can respond effectively for regulatory, tax, and reporting purposes.
If you found this company relocation policy checklist useful, please refer to our Knowledge Base for more helpful blogs, case studies, and industry news. If you’re looking to continue success with your employee relocation program and relocation packages, please feel free to reach out to Global Mobility Solutions for all of your corporate relocation needs.
We're Here to Help! Request a Courtesy Consultation
Are you ready to talk to a Mobility Pro? Learn how GMS can optimize your mobility program, enhance your policies to meet today’s unique challenges, receive an in-depth industry benchmark, or simply ask us a question. Your Mobility Pro will be in touch within 1 business day for a no-pressure, courtesy consultation.